About the Reserve Deputy Program
Reserve Deputies are volunteers who serve in the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office Water Patrol Unit. Whether on water or on ice, the Water Patrol Unit is responsible for law enforcement, safety instruction, and promotion of safe boating and riding habits on the county’s lakes, rivers, and trails.
To prevent accidents and injuries and ensure compliance with state laws, the Water Patrol Unit proactively patrols the county’s waterways, parks, and trails, including 18 miles of the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers. Using motor vehicles, boats, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), and snowmobiles, this unit responds to incidents on the water, conducts rescue efforts, and recovers victims of water related incidents.
After receiving formal law enforcement training, Reserve Deputies work alongside members of the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office to:
- Patrol the parks, trails, lakes, and rivers of Ramsey County
- Assist during major events and activities (such as the Saint Paul Winter Carnival, Fright Farm, and high school and college athletic events)
- Provide traffic and crowd control
- Engage in crime prevention and community policing programs
- Represent the Sheriff’s Office at community events, carnivals, and parades
- Respond to emergency call outs
- Conduct water safety inspections
- Provide instruction and assistance for Department of Natural Resources (DNR) firearms, snowmobile, and ATV youth training classes
Reserve Deputy candidates must be a citizen of the United States, 18 years of age or older, possess a valid Minnesota driver’s license and valid auto insurance, and successfully complete a criminal history/background investigation. Reserve Deputy candidates must also be able to swim, successfully complete the reserve deputy training program, volunteer a minimum of ten hours per month, and work in a variety of environmental conditions. Preference is given to Ramsey County residents.
The Ramsey County Sheriff's Water Patrol Unit is currently accepting applications for the 2015 Reserve Academy, contact the Water Patrol office for an application. The 2015 Reserve Academy will start during the first quarter of the year.
If interested in becoming a Reserve Deputy please download the application (link provided above), complete it, and mail to: Ramsey County Sheriff's Office, Attn: Water Patrol, 1411 Paul Kirkwold Drive, Arden Hills, MN 55112.
Reserve Deputy Application Form (Word doc)