About Contract Law Enforcement Services
Since 1960, the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office has provided law enforcement services through a contract agreement with cities that do not have their own independent police department. This method of contracting services allows cities to select law enforcement services that best meet their needs. The Sheriff’s Office then provides those services for the cost incurred.
The Sheriff’s Office currently provides contract services to seven cities in Ramsey County. These cities include:
The combined population of these cities is over 75,000 people, placing the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office in the top ten of police departments in the state in terms of population served. Geographically these seven cities occupy 59 square miles, or approximately one-third of the county.
Advantages of Contracted Law Enforcement Services
Public safety is an important investment that represents a significant portion of the budgets of many local governments. Providing management and oversight of an independent police department can be demanding, especially for smaller communities. Contracting law enforcement services with the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office can offer many advantages. These advantages include cost savings by sharing personnel and resources. For example, shared supervision and administrative costs, facilities, vehicles, equipment, and training help control operating costs.
In addition to patrol, crime prevention, and volunteer services, communities who contract with the Sheriff’s Office also receive the following services. These services are provided in support of law enforcement-related activities:
- Training and staff development
- Scheduling and attendance
- Performance evaluations
- Workers compensation claims
- Labor relations and contract negotiations
- Grievance and discipline issues
- Citizen complaints and internal affairs
- Family Medical Leave Act requests
- Fair Labor Standards Act concerns
- Hiring and termination
- Risk management and liability
Vehicle and equipment considerations:
- Equipment purchase and maintenance (vehicles, firearms, tasers, etc.)
- Insurance, repair, and fuel costs
Administrative and service coordination:
- Watch Commander and 24 hour supervision
- Public Information Officer (press and media relations)
- Information and technology support
- Community relations
- Budget, finance, revenue, and payroll management
- Federal agency and task force coordination
- Capital improvement and building maintenance
- Grant and contract management
- Records and property management
Types of Contracted Services
The Sheriff’s Office works with each community to develop a customized plan for services. These plans may vary from one city to the next, depending on a number of factors (number of residents, the density of population, the commercial-industrial to residential ratio, and crime-rates) as well as the goals of the community. For example, a contract for eight hours per day of patrol coverage would be less expensive than a contract for 24 hours per day, 7 days per week coverage.
Contracted services provided by the Sheriff’s Office include:
A city may also elect to contract for a specific service, such as a School Resource Officer. Ultimately, only the city can make a final decision about the level of coverage and services needed.
This information is intended to provide a brief summary of contract law enforcement services provided by the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office.
For more information, please contact the Public Safety Services Division at 651-266-7300.
Have a concern, idea, or observation? The Sheriff’s Office wants to hear it. Use the Community Concerns Form to share your concerns and comments