The Court Security Unit provides law enforcement and security services to the Second Judicial District (Ramsey County). Minnesota’s unified court system has general jurisdiction to hear all types of civil and criminal cases. Operating at five different locations across the county, the Court Security Unit secures courtrooms, maintains order during court, escorts and transports in-custody persons to and from court, and ensures the safety of all persons in and around the courthouse, including victims, witnesses, judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, and court staff.
The five locations which this unit provides services to include:
- The Ramsey County Courthouse (15 West Kellogg Boulevard, Saint Paul)
- Arraignment Court at the Law Enforcement Center (425 Grove Street, Saint Paul)
- Probate Court at the East Metro Behavioral Health Crisis Center (402 University Avenue East, Saint Paul)
- The Suburban Courthouse (2050 White Bear Avenue, Maplewood)
- The Juvenile and Family Justice Center (480 Saint Peter Street, Saint Paul)
Additionally, at the Law Enforcement Center, the Court Security Unit provides security of the public areas and coordinates with the Detention Services Division the scheduling of inmates for court, facilitates attorney-inmate interviews, and responds to emergencies. At the Juvenile and Family Justice Center, deputies serve as bailiffs in Juvenile Court, where youth have been petitioned to court for status offenses and criminal acts.