Free Adobe PDF Reader

Civil Process
Gun Permits
Criminal History
Community Services

9-1-1 Emergency


Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

Orders for Protection

Anyone seeking an Order for Protection (OFP) must contact the Ramsey County Domestic Abuse/Harassment Office.  The Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office does not issue Orders for Protection.  All orders are issued through District Court. 

General Information about Orders for Protection

Pursuant to Minnesota Statutes §518B.01, subd. 2(b), domestic abuse occurs to a family or household member if committed by a family or household member.  Family or household member is defined as:

  • Spouse and former spouse 
  • Parents and children 
  • Persons related by blood 
  • Persons who are currently residing together or who have resided together in the past 
  • Persons who have a child in common, regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time 
  • A man or woman if the woman is pregnant and the man is alleged to be the father, regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time 
  • Persons involved in a significant romantic or sexual relationship

"A petition for relief under this section may be made by any family or household member personally or by a family or household member, a guardian as defined in section §524.1-201, clause (20), or, if the court finds that it is in the best interests of the minor, by a reputable adult age 25 or older on behalf of minor family or household members. A minor age 16 or older may make a petition on the minor's own behalf against a spouse or former spouse, or a person with whom the minor has a child in common, if the court determines that the minor has sufficient maturity and judgment and that it is in the best interests of the minor."

If the Petition and Affidavit contain an allegation of "an immediate and present danger of domestic abuse," the Judicial Officer will determine if an Emergency (Ex Parte) Order for Protection should be issued. 

Certain types of relief require a court hearing.  If a hearing is required, a Judicial officer will hear testimony and will determine if a long-term Order for Protection should be issued.

If an Order for Protection is granted, and the respondent was not present and  there is an address for the respondent in Ramsey County, the Domestic Abuse/Harassment Office will provide the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office a copy of the Order for Protection to serve the respondent.  The Domestic Abuse/Harassment Office also provides a copy of the OFP to the local law enforcement agency where the petitioner lives. If requested by the petitioner, the Sheriff’s Office may be ordered to accompany the petitioner to either obtain possession of a residence or assist in carrying out or serving the OFP.

In any domestic abuse case, reports of the incidents should be made to a law enforcement agency.  Call 9-1-1 and a deputy/officer will take a report. However, it is not necessary to have filed a police report in order to obtain an Order for Protection.

To obtain an Order for Protection in Ramsey County, please contact the Ramsey County Domestic Abuse/Harassment Office for an appointment.


Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office
Minnesota's First Law Enforcement Agency - Established 1849

Sheriff Matt Bostrom