Bail is money provided to the Court as a promise to appear in Court, whether the individual was recently arrested or has an active warrant. In lieu of posting bail (cash), an individual may choose to go through a bonding agency. Bond is money or property secured as a promise to appear in Court. The Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office cannot recommend a bonding agency.
Posting bail/bond allows an individual to remain out-of-custody until their Court date.
- Bail/bond can be paid at the Adult Detention Center (425 Grove Street, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101)
- Bail is accepted at the Adult Detention Center Lobby window 24 hours a day
- Only cash for the exact amount of the bail is accepted
- Credit cards, checks, or money orders are not accepted
Posting Bail/Bond for Someone In Jail
In Ramsey County, bail standards established by the Court outline which offenses are provided bail. For select offenses, this means an individual can be released from custody by posting bail (paying money) and promising to appear in court. For other offenses, an individual may be held in-custody with bail/bond later determined by a Judge.
In most cases, an inmate or someone on behalf of an inmate may post bail or bond. To inquire about bail/bond for an in-custody inmate, please contact the Adult Detention Center at 651-266-9350. The inmate’s full name and date of birth is required to provide this information.
Posting Bail/Bond for an Arrest Warrant
If you have an active arrest warrant and the warrant is assigned a dollar amount, you can turn yourself in and post bail. This means, if you have cash bail, you will not be held in-custody and will be given a court date.
If your arrest warrant is for a felony or qualifying gross misdemeanor offense, you will be given a next business day court date. Individuals with an arrest warrant for misdemeanor offenses will be mailed a court date by Ramsey County District Court.
- If no bail amount is provided, you must be booked and appear in Court to resolve your arrest warrant. The law requires you appear before a Judge within a reasonable time, normally this is the following business day.
- If a bail amount appears, you can post bail/bond and remain out-of-custody until your court date.
If someone is in-custody at the Ramsey County Correctional Facility (RCCF), the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office Warrants Unit accepts bail/bond. The Warrants Unit only accepts bail/bond for a person in-custody at RCCF.
The Warrants Unit is located at the Law Enforcement Center, 425 Grove Street, Saint Paul and available from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays).
Identification Verification Standards
All persons with a Ramsey County arrest warrant must be processed by the jail staff to confirm identification; this process includes being fingerprinted and photographed.