Free Adobe PDF Reader



Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

Frequently Asked Questions

Back to Recorders Home Page

Contact Us

Where do I record a document?

The Ramsey County Recorders Office is located near downtown St. Paul, second block south of the Wabasha Street Bridge at: 90 West Plato Boulevard, St. Paul, Minnesota 55107. 

We have a large open parking lot with handicap parking located directly in front of the building. Our service counter is located on the 1st floor. We are also one block from a bus stop where Metro Transit routes 67 and 75 connect to Downtown St. Paul.

Do I have to deliver my documents to your office or can I mail them?

Documents can be delivered in person or mailed. You can choose the most convenient method for you to get your documents to us. If mailing, send to:

Ramsey County Recorder
PO Box 64099
St. Paul, MN  55164-0099

If delivering in person and you do not need assistance, you may drop off your document in the conveniently located baskets at our Property Records counter. For assistance, you may present your document to the staff person at the Property Records counter.

Services and Fees

Do you provide blank forms for the public to use?

No. You can contact an attorney, title company, real estate company, legal form vendor, or search for forms at MN Uniform Conveyancing Blanks.

Can I get help preparing a document at your office?

We cannot advise you on the kind of forms that you may need, help you fill out forms or give you legal advice. Document preparation questions should be directed to your legal advisor.

For customers interested in laws and legal research, Ramsey County's Law Library is a public library open to all. Located in the Ramsey County Courthouse in downtown St. Paul, it maintains a collection of print and online legal resources, including self-help materials.

Does Ramsey County provide abstracting services?

No, abstracting services are not provided by Ramsey County. You must contact an independent abstract company for service. 

Will you notarize documents for me?

Yes. Notary services are available with appropriate picture identification. Documents must be signed in front of our staff person who is providing notary services. The fee is $1.00 per signature. 

Will you record Corrective Documents?

Yes, but they must have new signatures and new acknowledgements along with a correction statement noted on the document itself.

How do I obtain a copy of a document or my Certificate of Title?

You may request a copy in person or by mail.

Copies are:

  • $10.00 for a certified copy 
  • $1.00 per page for a standard copy

Please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope for us to return your document to you. Requests will not be honored without payment. 

How do I calculate State Deed Tax and Mortgage Registration Tax?

Click here for more information about Mortgage Registry and State Deed Tax or to use the online calculators. The calculators will automatically calculate the tax when you type in the mortgage or deed consideration amount.

Effective January 1, 2013, the tax rate for mortgage registration is .0023 of the debt, and for state deed is .0033 of the net consideration.

When do I need to file a Well Disclosure Certificate?

All transfer deeds – including Contracts for Deed – require:

  • a completed well disclosure certificate and a $50 fee, OR
  • one of the following statements that apply must appear on the deed:

“The Seller certifies that the seller does not know of any wells on the described real property” OR 

“I am familiar with the property described in this instrument and I certify that the status and the number of wells on the described real property have not changed since the last previously filed well disclosure certificate.”

If you need to know what was on the last filed Well Disclosure Certificate, you may call the Minnesota Department of Health at 651-201-4587. Click here for a Well Disclosure Certificate form and instructions.

Do I have to pay an Agricultural Conservation Fee in Ramsey County?

Yes, an additional $5.00 fee is required for each transfer document and mortgage in Ramsey County.

Will you record my document if there are delinquent taxes owed on the property?

No. Pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, section 272.12, delinquent taxes must be paid in full prior to accepting a document for recording.

If I pay the delinquent taxes when I present my document for recording, will you process my document?

If paying by personal check, we can accept your document and hold it until the funds clear the bank in order to assure the taxes are paid in full, prior to processing your document.

If paying by certified funds, we can accept and process your document immediately.


What documents are filed at the County Recorder’s office?

Documents affecting title to real estate in Ramsey County are filed in the office of the Ramsey County Recorder if the real estate is Abstract land. 

Why are documents recorded in the official records?

Documents are recorded in the Ramsey County Recorders Office to provide notice of their existence. Individuals research the county records to identify property ownership, liens, and other recordings against real property.

What types of documents are recorded?

Hundreds of different document types are brought to us for recording. Some of these are Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Modifications, Judgments and Decrees from courts;  Hospital, Federal and State Tax Liens, and Satisfactions and Releases of such liens.  

How do I get my original documents back?

Documents will be returned to you if you include enough self-addressed stamped envelopes to return all of your documents properly. When no envelopes are included, all original documents and copies will be sent to the drafter of the document.

Registrar of Titles; Torrens; Certificates of Possessory Title

Why does it cost more to record a set of probate documents in Ramsey County then in some other counties? Why can't they be combined by your office as one and then recorded?

We are required to charge $46.00 as the recording fee for each document recorded, even if the documents are stapled together as a packet. Certified documents stand alone and we cannot alter certified documents by combining them into just one document. 

What’s the difference between the Registrar of Titles Office and the Examiner of Titles Office?

The Registrar of Titles Office receives documents for filing if the real estate is Torrens land, and issues Certificates of Title.

The Examiner of Titles Office handles district court Torrens cases, conducts hearings, issues Directives and Certifications, and provides legal advice and assistance to the Registrar’s office.

What is a Certificate of Title?

When land has been registered as part of the Torrens system, the Registrar of Titles issues a Certificate of Title containing the name of the owner, a description of the land and a description of all encumbrances, liens and interests in which the estate of the owner is subject.

Can I get a Certificate of Possessory Title?

Yes. Ramsey County began registering Certificates of Possessory Title in May 2005. These are issued administratively, not through the Courts. Go to Examiner of Titles website for more information.


What type of lien affects property?

There are several types of liens that affect real estate property; mechanics liens, attorney's liens, medical liens, judgment liens from the courts, hospital liens and Federal and State tax liens.

How do you remove a lien from a property?

For almost every type of document that places a lien on the real estate, a related recordable document reverses the original action. These are called releases, satisfactions, terminations or cancellations.

What if a lien is still listed on my credit report after it's been paid?

If a lien is still listed on a credit report after you have paid off the amount of the lien, please contact the organization or person who filed the lien against your property. They must provide the recordable document that states that the lien has been released.