Monday – Friday: 8:00am-3:30pm
Saturday November 15: 8:00am-12:00pm
Optional Appointment Service Now Available
We are pleased to announce that we now offer an option to schedule an appointment with us, in addition to our normal walk in service. If you would prefer to schedule an appointment with our office for a future date please click on the link below. Please note that same day appointment service is not available, however you are always welcome to visit us on a walk in basis daily during our normal business hours.
Property Records and Revenue building
90 W. Plato Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55107
A passport is a document issued by the federal government, which certifies the identity and nationality of the passport holder.
Types of Passports
- Passport Book - can be used for air, land and sea travel.
- Passport Card - can be used for land and sea travel. It cannot be used for any air travel. Used to travel to and return from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossing or sea ports-of-entry.
Citizens are allowed both a passport book and a passport card.
How to Apply for a First Time Passport Book or Card
Applications for a new passport or card must be done in person. Children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by both parents. For unique circumstances, please visit the U.S. Department of State website for instructions.
- Complete form DS-11: Application for U.S. Passport: (Website)
- Applicants must provide Social Security Number.
- Submit original or certified copy of U.S. Citizenship: (one of the following):
- Certified U.S. birth certificate (issued by your city, county, or state of birth)
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Present current identification:
- Valid Driver’s License
- Clipped Minnesota Driver’s License with yellow receipt
- Naturalization Certificate
- Current Government ID (city, state or federal)
- Current Military ID (military and dependents)
- Provide a passport photo that meets quality requirements: (Website)
- Photos are available at our office for an additional fee of $15.00
- Submit payment:
- Personal check or money order is required for the federal portion of the fee
- Cash and check may be used for the remaining balance
- No credit or debit cards
For more information about applying for a first time passport, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
Renewing a Passport Book or Card
U.S. Passport Services states that if certain qualifications are met, application for renewal of either a passport book or card should be submitted to the National Processing Center via the mail. Your most recent U.S. Passport:
- Must be undamaged
- Must have been issued
- when you were age 16 or older
- within the last 15 years
- in your current name (or you can legally document your name change)
- Must be submitted with your application
If your passport does not meet the above qualifications, you cannot renew by mail and must follow the procedure to apply for a new passport. If you do meet the above qualifications, complete the following steps to renew by mail:
- Complete form DS-82: Renew A U.S. Passport By Mail: (website)
- Social Security number is required for this form
- Mail the following items to the address on the form
- The appropriate fee (website)
- Your most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card
- A recent, color photograph that meets quality requirements (website)
- A certified copy of your marriage certificate or court order if your name has changed
For more information about renewing your passport, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
To check the status of your application, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
Please visit the U.S. Department of State website for more information about passport processing time.