Free Adobe PDF Reader


Green Ramsey

General Information
651-266-1376 (TTY)

Public Health
Environmental Health
Vital Records

Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

PH Logo Construction & Demolition (C&D) Waste

What is Construction and Demolition (C&D) Waste?
C&D waste comes from construction, renovation, repair, and demolition of houses, large buildings and other structures. C&D waste can include wood, steel, concrete, gypsum, masonry, plaster, metal, and roofing materials.  It can also contain hazardous materials like asbestos, mercury  and lead.  Ramsey County’s Pre-Demolition Inspection Program ensures that hazardous materials are identified, properly removed and recycled or disposed of before the start of demolition or renovation.

Do I need a permit before I demolish, renovate, or alter a building or structure?
Yes.  Each city in Ramsey County requires that you get a permit before any demolition, renovation or de-construction begins.  Once you have your permit, contact Ramsey County’s Pre-Demolition Inspection Program at 651.266.1199 to find out how to proceed.

Where can I dispose of C&D Waste?
C&D Waste can be taken to a solid waste transfer station that accepts C&D Waste, to a C&D Waste processing facility, or to a C&D Waste landfill.
Demolition, Recycling, Salvage and Disposal ContractorsResidents A to Z Disposal Guide

How and when does the County Environmental Charge (CEC) apply to C & D waste? 
The cost to dispose of C&D Waste is exempt from the CEC, only if the waste is disposed at a C&D facility and not at a mixed municipal solid waste (MSW) facility.  The State Solid Waste Management Tax does apply to C&D Waste disposal.  However, if a load of C&D Waste contains too much MSW -things like garbage from lunch, trash bags, carpeting, furniture, or other household items - a C&D waste disposal or processing facility might reject it.  If a load is rejected, it must go to a MSW facility. This waste, because it is disposed of as MSW, is subject to the CEC.

Tips to keep MSW out of your C&D waste loads:

  • For your contractors, provide clearly labeled containers for recyclables, garbage and other MSW.
  • Tarp the waste container to secure it when it's not in use.
  • Remove the waste immediately after the job is done.

How can I reduce C&D Waste?
Remove items for re-use or salvage before you begin demolition or renovation.  There are several companies and non-profits that are in the market for usable household materials such as cabinets, doors, windows, wooden flooring and molding, light fixtures and appliances. 
Rethink Recycling Residential Donations GuideTwin Cities Free Market

Definitions from the Ramsey County Solid Waste Ordinance (pdf)

Construction Debris: waste building materials, packaging, and rubble resulting from construction, remodeling, repair, and demolition of buildings and roads.
Demolition Debris: solid waste resulting from the demolition of buildings, roads, and other man-made structures, including concrete, brick, bituminous concrete, untreated wood, masonry, glass, trees and tree trimmings, rock, plastic building parts, and other inert waste materials which has been approved in writing by the Department. Demolition debris does not include asbestos wastes.
Mixed Municipal Solid Waste (MSW):  garbage, refuse, and other solid waste from residential, commercial, industrial, and community activities that the generator of the waste aggregates for collection, but does not include auto hulks, street sweepings, ash, construction debris, mining waste, sludges, tree and agricultural wastes, tires, lead acid batteries, used oil, and other materials collected, processed, and disposed of as separate waste streams.

Return to Recycling & Trash