Free Adobe PDF Reader



Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

Adult Foster Care FAQ

Adult Foster Care Home

What is Adult Foster Care?

Adult Foster Care is a home setting in the community for adults who are unable to live independently due to physical, emotional, developmental or mental health impairments. The home can provide up to 24 hour supervision for 1 to 4 residents. (5 if caring for elderly residents). Residents receive meals, support, supervision and some assistance with personal care and living skills as needed.

What types of Adult Foster Care are there?

  • Traditional - The foster care provider lives in the residence and is the primary caregiver to clients in the home.
  • Shelter - The foster care home accepts clients on an emergency short-term basis for up to 30 days.
  • Veteran Adult Foster Care – The home has supports for people who have served in one of the US Armed Forces.
  • Corporate – The foster care home is operated by a corporation with shift staff delivering services to clients. If you are interested in Corporate Foster Care, you must contact a Ramsey County contract worker at 651-266-4194. The planning department issues a Request for Proposal (RFP) when we need new sites that are able to provide specific services. A provider is then selected via this process and the Intake Worker is contacted by the planner to initiate the application process.

What are the licensing requirements for Adult Foster Care?

The applicant must meet the minimum licensing standards that include:

  • The home must be in Ramsey County and meet the fire safety code
  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • All household members 13 years old and over must pass a criminal and social service background check
  • Applicant must provide a physician's statement that they are physically and mentally able to care for vulnerable adults in their home
  • Provide 3 positive references from non-relatives
  • Have bedroom space for each resident
  • Complete a home study with the licensor Meet annual training requirements

What is the application process to provide traditional Adult Foster Care?

  1. Contact the Licensing Intake Worker at 651-266-4258
  2. Attend an information meeting and two orientation sessions
  3. Complete the intake packet you received after the second orientation session
  4. Complete an Intake Interview with a county representative in your home
  5. Complete a DHS Background study and  receive a clearance letter
  6. Have an inspection by a Fire Marshal in your home 
  7. Be assigned to a licensing social worker who will schedule two home visits
  8. Social worker makes a recommendation to Department of Human Services (DHS) for licensing
  9. DHS makes the final licensing decision 
                                 The application process generally takes 4 - 6 months.

What are the training requirements for Adult Foster Care providers?

  • Each Adult Foster Care provider is expected to attend 12 hours of training annually in the first 5 years of operation.
  • Foster Care provider's licensed over 5 years are required to attend at least 6 hours of training a year.
  • Mandatory training in Vulnerable Adult laws and First Aid are offered every year.
  • Other trainings include topics that are available to caregivers in their home.
  •  Training seminars are held from September through April, with summer trainings announced as they occur. If you want a schedule or have training questions, call 651-266-4255.

How much do providers get paid?

Traditional providers receive a monthly minimum room and board payment set by the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS). A Difficulty of Care (DOC) rating may be set based on the required level of care. The payment may be a combination of the client's pension, Social Security income, Social Security Disability, and Group Residential Housing (GRH) funds. Residents who have the financial resources to pay can negotiate a fee with the provider.

When the county used to license corporate providers, the providers responded to a Request for Proposal (RFP) and went through a selection process. Then a company representative met with a county manager to negotiate a contract. The rate for corporate providers includes a base rate set by DHS, plus a supplement, which comes from waiver money the resident is qualified to receive.

What kind of clients will I get?

The licensing unit cannot guarantee that you will get clients or how many you will get. You must market your home and be flexible in the type of clients you are willing to serve. You decide what type of clients you take. They may have mental health, physical, developmental issues or be elderly.

What is the role of the licensor?

Each home is assigned a Ramsey County licensor who ensures:

  • All aspects of state and county licensing mandates and policies are followed
  • The home is physically and emotionally safe for the clients
  • Providers are kept apprised of changes in licensing mandates and policies
  • The county provides information and education concerning the provider's site
  • Attendance at trainings are encouraged
  • The provider's role of providing a safe and supportive environment is supported
  • What types of supports are available to Adult Foster Care providers?

    Each home is assigned a licensing worker.   Ramsey County publishes a quarterly newsletter with relevant information about foster care issues .  There is an Annual Recognition Dinner.  Providers are eligible for free Foster Care Liability Insurance offered by the State of Minnesota through the Minnesota Joint Underwriters Association. Many residents have a case manager who assists with the implementation of a specific care plan.

    Am I responsible for residents' medical bills?

    No. The foster care rate covers room and board, three nutritious meals and snacks daily and super -vision. Medical and dental costs are covered through Medical Assistance or other insurance of resident.