Applicants l Licensed Providers l Parents l Child Care Home
Licensing Process for Ramsey County Applicants
Getting Started - January Orientation
Wed. January 14th from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. at Bigelow Building (450 N Syndicate)
Potential applicants must attend an initial orientation meeting to learn whether this might be the right business for you.
- Applicants will receive application materials at the initial orientation meeting.
- For more information, please call 651-266-KIDS (5437) or attend an upcoming orientation meeting.
- If you need an interpreter while attending an orientation meeting please call 651-266-4166.
- No children are allowed at the orientation meetings – this is your opportunity to focus on learning about becoming a licensed family child care provider.
2015 Child Care Orientations Jan-May (Word) | Child Care Orientations (PDF)
Important Notice Ramsey County collects fees for mandatory background studies ($100) and the licensing process fees are $50 for one year and $100 for a two year license. The Accounting Department sends an invoice to applicants. It must be paid before the license is issued. Learn more about license fees
Training for Applicants
Prior to caring for children, any caregiver must have specific training:
- Child Growth and Development Behavior Guidance (4 hours)
- Supervising for Safety (6 hours)
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- First Aid
- Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID, formerly SIDS)
- Abusive Head Trauma (AHT)
- Child Passenger Restraint (car seats) if going to transport children
Please note: the licensing worker will not recommend a license until these trainings have been completed.
Resources for finding the required classes are listed below:
Think Small (formerly Resources for Child Caring)
CPR Twin Cities (the authorized provider of Red Cross CPR and first aid training)
Background studies are required for all persons performing licensed child care Background Studies (pdf)
Ramsey county residents considering doing child care can learn why getting licensed is helpful, how to get one, space requirements and more. FAQs
Minnesota Dept of Human Services General Child Care Licensing Information