Free Adobe PDF Reader



Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

Disability Services

Disability Services Home       BI CAC CADI      CDCS       Developmental Disabilities        Senior (disability) Services

Gov Delivery LetterSubscribe to receive email updates on Disability Services information and trainings                          

2 women using ASL651 266-3613Our services help people with disabilities live healthy and well in the community.
We may coordinate employment, housing, care services and more to meet your needs. All services start with intake interviews.

          • Alternative Care for seniors (AC)
          • Brain Injury (BI)
          • Community Alternative Care for people with chronic illness (CAC)
          • Community Alternatives for people with physical disabilities (CADI)
          • Elderly Waivers (EW)
          • Intellectual, Developmental & Related Disabilities (IDD)

NEW: If you have a waiver with the CDCS option, please attend a CDCS training each year so you can use your funds appropriately and know the new options available. Upcoming trainings:

Assessment and Referrals

When you contact Ramsey County Community Human Services (CHS) Assessment at 651-266-3613, request an intake interview.
We will interview you and your family to assess your needs and strengths. Then case mangers/social workers help with you and other agencies to coordinate services you choose.

Community and Home

The Supreme Court (Olmstead Decision) said people with disabilities are best-served alongside everyone else. People must be integrated in the community as much as possible
with necessary supports. We have been moving away from nursing homes, treatment centers and other institutions. Your social worker can explain the person-centered services in this section to you. 
Learn more about HCBS at MN DHS     Ramsey BI CAC CADI    Ramsey/I/DD     Ramsey Seniors

Consumer Support Grant (CSG)

Consumer Support Grants provide funds every month for persons with low-incomes who need on-going support to live in the community.
Learn more about CSG at MN DHS

Family Support Grant (FSG)

The FSG provides cash grants up to $200 dollars per month, which may help prevent or delay out of home placement and increase access to services.
To be eligible, you must be certified as having a disability, be under 21 and live in your biological or adoptive home. Your family must be below a certain income
Learn more about FSG at MN DHS

Consumer Directed Community Supports

CDCS is an option for people who are on HCBS Waiver Programs. CDCS gives you more flexibility and responsibility to direct your services and supports. This includes hiring and managing direct care staff.
Learn More about CDCS at MN DHS         Ramsey County CDCS Forms and Resources 

Personal Care

PCA-like  services help with day-to-day activities in your home to allow you to be more independent in your home and the community.
PCAs help with activities of daily living, health-related procedures and tasks, observation and redirection of behaviors and instrumental activities of daily living for adults.
Services may be available to eligible people on Medical Assistance.
PCA Help Line 266-2522 Learn More at MN DHS Learn About Assessments at Ramsey Public Health 

Employment and Vocational Services

new Working is the key to living in the community.  Ramsey County believes that people with disabilities have the same rights and abilities as people without disabilities, namely to work at regular jobs. 
A case manager/social worker will work with you to find supports that will assist you in finding the right job in the right setting, while maintaining your benefits.
They will focus on your strengths as well as your skills or interests that can lead to jobs.

new What Parents Can Do to Help with Future Employment (pdf)

Learn more at MN Dept of Employment and Economic Development - Disabilities Division

Housing and Residential Services  

 Services and supports to help people live independently in the housing option and community of their choice.  No matter where a person lives, help and supports can be matched to that person’s unique needs.

Accessible and Affordable Housing

Housing Access Services (HAS) -  HAS helps you seek and locate suitable, affordable, and accessible housing. 
Contact The Arc of Minnesota to get started     651-523-0823 Ext.101
Watch Circles of Support, a 12 minute video   |   Watch HAS Movers, an 8 minute video

new Housing Benefits 101

MN DHS Housing for People with Disabilities

new Housing Options (pdf)

Adults who cannot live independently may live in foster care. Ramsey County CHS licenses, monitors and supports traditional style and corporate foster homes with 24 hour a day supports.
Learn more about Ramsey County Foster Care


People who live in nursing homes and want to return to the community can have free consultations. Community Neighborhood Housing Services (CNHS) provide services and programs to St Paul and surrounding  communities' residents.
Services include budget counseling, loans for home remodel or purchasing and more.
Learn more at CNHS    651-292-8710

Medical Assistance

MA is a publicly funded, health care program for people with low and moderate incomes.
Ramsey County MA information 651-266-4444 Learn More at MN DHS MA

Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities is a work incentive that promotes competitive employment and the economic self-sufficiency of people with disabilities. It assures access to Medical Assistance for necessary health care services. Learn more at MN DHS MA-EPD

TEFRA is for children with disabilities whose parents have too much income to qualify for other Minnesota Health Care Programs or who qualify, but the cost would be too high. Ramsey County TEFRA information 651-706-1476 Learn more at MN DHS TEFRA

Community Activities East Metro 

Low cost and free activities for people with and without disabilities occur throughout Ramsey County.

Community Bridge Consortium offers affordable programs for adults with developmental disabilities. Locations: Cottage Grove, Maplewood, Oakdale, Roseville, White Bear Lake and Woodbury | 651-748-5434

Connect WC resources and news

Forest Lake Community Ed has social & recreation activities for adults with disabilities -Transportation for a fee. | 651-982-8303

Highland Friendship Club has activities for people with developmental disabilities, their families and friends. Locations throughout St Paul - Transportation for a fee through Highland Links| 651-698-4096

Jewish Community Center offers inclusion for people with disabilities in all programs. Club Kulano teaches life skills to teens and young adults with intellectual disabilities. Location: 1375 St Paul Avenue in St Paul | 651-255-4772 (Inclusion and Accessibility Coordinator)

Metropolitan Center for Independent Living has several classes and events that support and teach skills to people with disabilities. Their goal is to promote self-directed lives and independent living. Location: 1600 University Ave at Snelling in St Paul | 651-603-2028

St Paul Community Education Community Cultural Center (CCC) and Community Leisure Education and Recreation (CLEAR) provide activities for adults with developmental disabilities at Bridge School, 360 Colburn in St Paul | 651-293-5272 or 5196

Supportive Experiential Education (SEED) has weekly activities for adults with mental illness at Riverside Education Center,  900 Albion in St Paul | 651-228-3655

St Paul Parks & Rec has adaptive recreation activities from bingo to dances, field trips and more. Locations: Eastside, Frogtown, Highland, Midway, Phalen, Rondo and Westside rec centers - Transportation for a fee. | 651-793-6635

Other Resources

Disability Benefits 101 has tools to help people determine how working may affect disability and health benefits.   1 866-333-2466 
Learn more at DB101

Minnesota Centers for Independent Living offer education, supports and more.     651-646-8342
Learn more at MCIL

MN Dept of Health Directory has Agencies with services for immigrants & refugees. Ramsey County's are on pp 14-21.
Learn more at MDH Directory

Minnesota Disability Linkage Line is an answer and referral service.     1 866-333-2466
Learn more at Minnesota Help

Ramsey County Protection Units offer entry point intake for children and vulnerable adults.
Learn more Adult Protection 651-266-4012|   Learn more Children's Protection 651-266-4500

Ramsey County Cash and Food Assistance for low-income residents     651-266-4444
Learn more at Ramsey FAS

Ramsey County Department of Public Health     651-266-2400
Learn More at RC DPH

Social Security has starter kits to prepare for disability interviews and applications     1 800-772-1213
Learn more at SSA Starter Kit

United Cerebral Palsy of Minnesota provides events and resources for people with a spectrum of disabilities.
Learn more.

This information is available in accessible formats for people with disabilities by contacting CHS Accessible Web .