Free Adobe PDF Reader



Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

Children's Mental Health Services

Children's Services Home      Developmental Disabilities       Adult Mental Health Home

Ramsey County Human Services helps people survive and thrive

Boy eating w forkRamsey County offers services to children, youth and their families to support young people dealing with mental health issues.
Services are provided directly by Ramsey County or through collaborations with community agencies. Services include:

          • Crisis Intervention
          • Early Intervention Services
          • Case Management
          • Case Services for youth involved with the Court System


Contact Information: 651-266-7878

Program Description: Children’s Crisis Response offers 24-hours a day, on-site response to children in homes, schools or institutions in Ramsey County.

  • Services include de-escalation and crisis intervention; a thorough mental health assessment to determine issues; and development of an initial crisis plan
  • Follow-up, short term care up to two weeks following the crisis, including transition to ongoing treatment, and crisis recurrence reduction strategies
  • Over 90% of home-based crisis calls have been stabilized with the child remaining at home
  • Spanish and Hmong language supports are available
  • Services are provided by licensed mental health professionals or mental health practitioners under the supervision of a mental health professional
  • Ramsey County partners with St. Paul Youth Service Bureau for Children’s Crisis Response

Eligibility: All crisis services are available to anyone regardless of ability to pay or insurance type. 


Case Management

Contact Information: For general Case Management, call 651-266-4500.

Program Description: Case Management serves families with children who have severe emotional and behavioral disturbances. In a culturally sensitive manner, case managers help families:

  • Develop a treatment plan and a crisis plan.
  • Provide information about and referral to community resources.
  • Create a supportive team of family, professionals, and community members.
  • Assist parents in advocating for their child’s mental health needs.

Eligibility: In order to receive case management services:

  • The child must have a current SED diagnosis.
  • The guardian must live in Ramsey County.
  • The child’s guardian must request or consent to services.
  • The child needs to qualify for and obtain Medical Assistance (MA). Children with mental health disabilities may be eligible for MA based on income or through a program called TEFRA.  For more information, call 651-266-3692. Learn more about TEFRA at MN DHS.

To get a case manager and case management services, you need:

  • A Mental health professional must complete a Children's Mental Health Case Management Referral (fill-able form) based on an assessment from the last 6 months.
  • Fax the completed application and current diagnostic assessment to:
    Children's Mental Health Intake at 651-266-3715 OR Project Enhance at 651-639-4033.
  • The diagnostic assessment must meet all guidelines to bill Minnesota Health Care programs so should include a CASII, SDQ and CAGE-AID or GAIN-SS. 

Project Assist (early intervention)

Contact Information: 651-771-1301 (Ext 1401) | FAX 651-771-2542

Program Description: Project Assist provides culturally competent, comprehensive mental health assessments to help parents and families access the correct interventions and supports to improve a young person’s mental health functioning at home, school and the community.

Project Assist provides home-based mental health assessments and brief case management to infants, toddlers, and school age youth.

  • Referrals are accepted from Child Protection, Juvenile Justice, schools, and other community agencies that work with children
    3623 PA Referral Form (fill-able pdf)  3623 Project Assist Refer Form (MS Word)
  • Staff consult with Child Protection and Juvenile Probation to improve the quality of mental health services to high risk children and youth
  • Both Ramsey County and contracted staff from community agencies provide culturally specific mental health services
  • All staff are either licensed mental health professionals or mental health practitioners under the supervision of a mental health professional

Eligibility: Mental health screening – a brief set of questions usually completed by a parent or youth - helps determine eligibility. Services are free, but insurance information is collected when available.

Learn more at Pediatric Symptom Checklist (Massachusetts General Hospital)

Project Enhance

Contact Information: Contact your child’s school social worker, or school psychologist, or call 651-639-4016.

Program Description: Enhance staff work with small caseloads of children with Severe Emotional Disturbance (SED) challenges in Moundsview, Roseville, White Bear Lake, N. St. Paul Maplewood and Oakdale schools. In conjunction with parents or legal guardians and the child, staff assesses, plans, arranges and monitors mental health services and supports for children and their families. This includes:

    • Developing a treatment plan and a crisis plan;
    • Providing information about and referral to community resources;
    • Creating a supportive team of family, professionals, and community members;
    • Assisting parents in advocating for their child's mental health needs;
    • Providing access to other supports.

Eligibility: To qualify for Project Enhance, a student must meet qualifications for case management AND:

    • Have a current SED diagnosis that is less than 180 days old in order to establish medical necessity.
    • A mental health  professional must complete a Mental Health Case Mgt Referral Application (the Intake Unit helps families obtain diagnostic assessments if needed).
    • Have voluntary consent of parents or legal guardians to participate.
    • Be referred by a school liaison and/or the County CMH Intake Unit and be accepted by Enhance, in consultation with school.
    • Elementary and secondary students must be Ramsey County residents and live in one of the above school districts.
    • The child must qualify for and obtain Medical Assistance (MA). Children with mental health disabilities may be eligible for MA based on income OR through TEFRA. For TEFRA information, call 651-266-3692.

Youth Engagement Program

Contact Information: 651-266-4118

The Youth Engagement Program (YEP) works with families of children, youth & teens who regularly skip school or have a history of running away. Upon referral, YEP helps assess and resolve underlying family or mental health issues that contribute to running away and truancy. YEP provides:

  • Case Management
  • Referrals to Specific Programs and Mental Health Professionals
  • Resource Information

Learn more at Youth Engagement

Does culture matter?

Ramsey County Children's Mental Health Collaborative and Children's Mental Health Advisory Council sponsored a workshop about Mental Health and Culture. Panels include African, African American, American Indian, Hmong, Latino, Muslim and Somali professionals.

How is mental health viewed in cultural communities? Watch Mental Health Session 1 (85 minutes)

How are mental health issues addressed in cultural communities? Watch Mental Health Session II (47 minutes)

Does culture play a role in best practices delivery? Watch Mental Health Session III (77 minutes)

MN DHS Speaker Martha Aby: Overview of Best Practices in Mental Health (38 minutes)

The presentations are also on Comcast Cable TV. CTV North Suburbs (Channel 21) for Arden Hills, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Little Canada, Mounds View, New Brighton, North Oaks, Roseville, St Anthony and Shoreview. St. Paul Neighborhood Network (Channel 15) for St Paul. Suburban Communities Channels (Channel 13) for: Birchwood, Dellwood, Grant, Lake Elmo, Mahtomedi, Maplewood, N. St Paul, Oakdale, Vadnais Heights, White Bear Lake, White Bear Township, Willernie.

Other Resources:

Emergency & Community Health Outreach has helping youth in crisis videos and more in multiple languages | More at ECHO

Metro Children's Crisis Response Services provides immediate help for youth experiencing a mental health crisis | More at MCCRS

Multi-Collaborative Access Team Directory is an annotated directory of mental health services and providers in the metropolitan area.
MCAT Directory Sept 2014 (Word 47 pp) | MCAT (pdf)

Minnesota Association for Children's Mental Health has publications, workshops and more to promote positive mental health for children, teens and their families. | MN Assn for Children’s Mental Health

Minnesota Department of Corrections Juvenile Division facilitates the Juvenile Justice Mental Health Initiative among its responsibilities. | Learn more at MN Dept of Corrections Juvenile Division

Minnesota's Department of Human Services has a website of statutes and supports. | Learn more at DHS Children's Mental Health

Ramsey County Government provides additional social service supports for eligible residents.

Learn more about MN District 2 (Ramsey County) Juvenile Courts

Learn more about Ramsey Community Corrections Juvenile Detention Center and Totem Town

Children and youth, diagnosed before age 22, who have I.Q.s under 70, or who have related conditions such as autism, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and more, may benefit from Intellectual/Developmental Disability (IDD) services and case management.
Learn more at RC CHS IDD Services

Ramsey County Children's Mental Health Collaborative includes families, mental health providers, county government and schools. The website has an events calendar. | Learn more at RCCMHC

Suburban Ramsey Family Collaborative  has children and teens health and safety needs information. | Learn more at SRFC Kids Matter

YOU as a volunteer Citizens Advisory Council member can make a difference for children with mental health needs.