Free Adobe PDF Reader

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Watch us on YouTube

651-266-2177 Fax


Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

In Person or Mail (Domestic) Absentee Voter Information

Absentee Ballot Applications

You can vote either in person or through the mail.  If you wish to vote by mail, you can apply at any time! 

Absentee voting will begin as follows:

  • City and School District Primary - June 26, 2015
  • City and School District General Election - September 18, 2015

Vote early by mail

Applications can be submitted at any time, even before the absentee voting period begins. Ballots will be mailed at the beginning of the absentee voting period.  After the absentee voting period has begun, ballots will be sent out on the same day that an application is received.

If you intend to vote absentee by mail, you should submit your application by mail or fax at least four days before the election, to ensure adequate mail transit time.

Apply with a paper application:

Download a paper application

Application forms may be faxed (651-266-2177) or e-mailed ( to our office to expedite this process.  Emailed copies must be scanned in and then emailed, as your signature needs to be included.

Or, mail your completed application to:

     Ramsey County Elections
     PO Box 64098
     St Paul, MN 55164-0098

All absentee ballots must arrive at Ramsey County Elections no later than 3:00 p.m. on Election Day. Absentee ballots will not be accepted on Election Day if delivered by the voter to his or her polling place or Ramsey County Elections. 

Agent delivery: 

Starting 7 days prior to the election, voters who qualify for health reasons can designate an agent to pick up their ballot by 2 p.m. on Election Day, and deliver their absentee ballot to Ramsey County Elections by 3:00 p.m. on Election Day. Voters who wish to vote via an agent have to fill out both the Absentee Ballot Application and the Agent Delivery Form, which are both located on this page .

Vote early in person

Voters in the White Bear Lake Area School District (ISD 624) and the city of Maplewood have a primary August 11, 2015.




White Bear Lake Area Schools (ISD 624) primary voters may vote at Ramsey County Elections. This includes voters in both Washington and Anoka counties. Voters who live in Washington county also have the option of voting at Washington County locations.


Maplewood voters may vote at either Maplewood City Hall or at Ramsey County Elections.


Ramsey County Elections


Ramsey County Elections is located at 90 W. Plato Blvd. in Saint Paul.


Absentee voting:

June 26th-August 7th - business days from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

August 8th from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

August 10th from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can someone help me fill out the application?

Someone may help you fill out your information, but all applications must contain an actual signature of the voter, or a note written on the application stating that the voter gave their permission to another person to sign for them.  If the person who signs for the voter is a power of attorney, simply writing 'POA' is not sufficient.  A note stating that permission was granted is always required, and can be written by the signer.

How long will it take to get my ballot through the mail?

In Minnesota, we have found that mail carried from Ramsey County to southern Minnesota (and vice versa) often is delivered in one day.  Mail carried to northwestern Minnesota generally takes more than one day.

When sending to destinations outside Minnesota, the mail to the western US can be delivered in as few as 2-3 days, whereas longer delivery times are often the case for mail to the Northeast and Washington DC area.

How can I speed up the mail process?

One way to speed up mail delivery is to use an express delivery service, such as USPS Express Mail, FedEx, UPS, DHL, or a similar service.  If you or someone you know provides our office with a pre-paid express mailer, or with a credit card number and expiration date, we will use an express carrier to send you the ballot.  We suggest that you return the ballot to us in the same manner.

If you are attending college overseas, you may wish to make contact with the US embassy or US consulate near you.  The staff at the embassies and consulates may be able to expedite delivery of your voted ballot back to the US, or know of other options available to you.

Who can be my witness?

It is required to have another person witness your absentee ballot.  If you do not know another person who is registered to vote in Minnesota at your college, you should contact one of the following officials:

  • Notary Public
  • County, City or Town Clerk
  • College Registrar 
  • Consular Official at a US Embassy or Consulate
  • Judicial Officer 
  • Any other official who can administer an oath

How do I make sure that my ballot is accepted?

The following errors will cause your absentee ballot to be rejected:

  • Voter does not sign the return envelope   
  • Voter does not record a witness
  • Voter’s witness does not include witness name, witness's MN address, and/or signature
  • Voter’s witness does not check the proof of residency box (non-registered absentees only)
  • Ballot arrives at Elections office after Election Day

Ballots that are rejected will cause a replacement ballot to be mailed out until the Friday prior to Election Day.

Additional Information for College Students:

As a college student, you have a choice where to cast your ballot, based on your residence.  You may select only one residence and vote once in any given election.

  • If you live at home while attending school, you vote at your hometown polling place. 
  • If you live on campus, you may vote either at your hometown polling place (as long as you still have a permanent residence there) or at the polling place in the neighborhood where your school is located (but not at both places).
  • If you live off campus at school, you may vote either at your hometown polling place (as long as you still have a permanent residence there) or at the polling place for your off campus residence (but not at both places). 

To find out what offices will be on your ballot, please visit the ballot information page.

Absentee Ballot Applications